De-Stress for Teens
You may have mastered ways to keep your stress under control, but your worried teen may be struggling. Between school, friends and life in general, teens have plenty to worry about. Here are a few tips to help your teen (and you) to relax.
1. Karaoke – Belting it out just naturally feels good. A study of college choir members showed that students’ stress levels went down when they joined a singing group.
2. Fresh Air – Getting outside is good for your emotions, research shows. Even something as simple as looking at shapes in the clouds can help de-stress.
3. Giggle a Little – Laughing is contagious, and it can boost their immune system and lower production of the stress hormone cortisol. Have them watch a comedy movie or tell dumb jokes with friends!
4. Just Dance – Does the phrase “dance like no one is watching” ring a bell? Dance out the tension by cranking up the music in their bedroom and let it all hang loose.
5. Hobbies – No, video games and texting do not count as hobbies Reading, photography, scrapbooking, painting or sports can help make the stress disappear.
6. Breathe In, Breathe Out – Breathing deeply and slowly is a definite way to let go and relax your mind, body and soul. Have your teen picture a calm beach or the woods at the same time to bring tranquility faster.
7. Gotta Kick It Up – Revving up your teen’s life with a workout can unload their pent-up stress. If they don’t release their stress, they can get headaches, stomach aches or have sleep deprivation.
8. Yoga – For thousands of years, people have used yoga as a way to obtain peace. It works. Child’s pose is the primary yoga technique and can be practiced comfortably in their bedroom.